Brannon J. Decou
Chief of Police
I live in this community and have been dedicated to Broussard for the past 25 years in public safety. I am a resident and active citizen of Broussard and a former Trooper of the Louisiana State Police, I was appointed Chief of Police in January 2001 by the City Council by a unanimous vote of 5-0. Then in October of 2001, I was elected by the voters in a special election with 76% of the vote. In October 2006, I ran against one opponent and won by 67% of the vote where I was honored to serve another four year term. Then in October 2010 I ran unopposed which began my next 4 year term in January 2011. In 2014 I ran against one opponent and won again where I was honored to serve another four year term.
I have been the Chief of Police for the past 16 years. I've served 14 years as a Lafayette Parish board member on the 911 Commission and 10 years as an Executive Board Member of the Louisiana Association of Chief's of Police.
I am a full-time professional Chief that is dedicated to providing you with the best protection that we as Law Enforcement Officials can provide. I believe in doing the right thing for the right reason. The issue of quality law enforcement is what I strive to give this city. A Police Department that is dedicated to serving and protecting you and your children professionally is what you can expect from me. As a father, I understand that the time invested in the future of children is time spent in the future of a community as a whole.
- Over 600 hours from LA State Police Academy
- F.B.I. Diversity Training
- U.S. Customs Blue Lightening Cross Training
- D.E.A. Highway Interdiction
- RCTA Criminal Patrol Techniques
- LA State Police Hazardous Material Training
- LSU Critical Incident Stress Debriefing
- Annual Chief of Police Training
- Chief Advisor - Broussard’s Explorer Program
- Assistant Chief - Broussard Volunteer Fire Department - Member since 1993
- Former Vice-President - Southwest Chief’s of Police Association
- Sponsor - B.Y.Y.A. Baseball
- Member of US Marshall's Joint Task Force # 9
- Executive Board Member of La Assn. of Chief's of Police
- Lafayette Parish 911 Commission Board Member
- Civic Leader of the Year Award