Personal Safety Tips
- Stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings, wherever you are. Don’t be taken by surprise. Be aware and be prepared.
- Stand tall and walk confidently. Don’t show fear. Don’t look like a victim.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in place or situation, leave right away and get help if necessary.
bumptiously On Foot
- Choose busy streets and avoid going through vacant lots, alleys, or other deserted areas. At night, walk in well-lit areas whenever possible.
- Try not to walk or jog alone. Take a friend or neighbor along for company.
- Get to know the neighborhoods where you live and work.
- Carry your purse close to your body and keep a firm grip on it. Avoid pick pockets by carrying your wallet in an outside coat pocket or front trouser pocket.
In Your Car
- Always lock your car and take the keys, even if you’ll be gone only a short time.
- Keep your car in good running condition, and keep the gas tank at least one quarter full at all times.
- Lock your doors while driving.
- If your car breaks down, raise the hood and place emergency reflectors or flares to the rear of your car to warn motorists of the hazard. Then stay in the locked car. When someone stops to help, don’t get out. Ask him or her, through a closed or cracked window, to telephone the police to come and help.
- If you’re coming or going after dark, park in a well-lit area that will still be well lit when you return.
- Try to plan your visits to the ATM during the day, rather than after dark.
- Choose an ATM location that is in a busy, public place. Avoid making withdrawals in isolated areas.
- If at all possible, take along a friend who can watch the surroundings while you are conducting your transactions.
- Pre-plan your transaction carefully, and don’t spend too much time at the machine.
- When you make a withdrawal, quickly place the money in your purse or wallet and leave as soon as you finish your transaction.
- Watch for suspicious-looking people waiting around an ATM – They may not really be customers. If someone offers to let you go ahead of them, decline politely and leave.
- When visiting a drive-through ATM, keep your doors locked and be prepared to drive away quickly. If anyone approaches your car on foot, roll up your window and drive off.